Enyimba FC will be crowned Nigerian Champions if they win against Rivers United on the final matchday of the NPFL Championship Playoff in Lagos.
The People’s Elephant have already secured top three finish following Friday’s 3-0 thrashing of Sunshine Stars – thereby guaranteeing continental football next season – but Finidi George’s side can go one further by claiming a record-extending 9th title with a win against the defending champions.
As much as the title chase has looked like a two -horse race between Enyimba and Rivers United going into the final matchday of the season, Remo Stars’ outside chance still keeps them in contention for a maiden NPFL crown.
The table after matchday 4
Below are the different possible outcomes of the two consequential matches of the matchday, and the consequences they will have on the title race.
- Enyimba will be crowned champions with a win against Rivers United, irrespective of results elsewhere.
- Rivers United will become champions with a win against Enyimba, irrespective of results elsewhere.
- Enyimba will become champions if they get a draw against Rivers United and Remo fail to beat Insurance by up to two goals.
- Remo Stars will be crowned Champions if they beat Insurance by up to two goals and the game between Enyimba and Rivers United ends in a draw.
- Remo Stars will leap to second position and qualify for the CAF Champions League if they win by any margin and a winner emerges in the game between Enyimba and Rivers United.
- Insurance will overtake Remo Stars into third and qualify for the CAF Confederation Cup if they win by up to two goals, not minding results from elsewhere.